HISTORY OF THE DOCKS
St Katharine's Docks was officially opened on Saturday 25 October 1828. The St Katharine Docks were one of the smallest and most centrally located docks in London. The docks were renowned for handling the trade in luxury items and for magnificent warehouses that lined the quays.
The docks had over a million square feet of storage area to house items such as Shells, Ivory, Sugar, Mable, Wine, Spices, Indigo, Ostrich feathers, China, Toroiseshell, Perfume and Tea. The docks were however never a great financial success and closed in 1968 having run at a loss, at this time they were sold by the Port of London Authority to the Greater London Council.